STARS Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(CHASE RACE #10) STARS Championship 400 @ Las Vegas

Go down

(CHASE RACE #10) STARS Championship 400 @ Las Vegas Empty (CHASE RACE #10) STARS Championship 400 @ Las Vegas

Post by BJA95 Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:13 am

Ganbaruby! Ruby McBrien takes the title at Las Vegas

Incredible scenes shook up Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Saturday night as rookie driver Ruby McBrien took home the STARS Lowe's International Series title as her father, Frank McBrien, in his last career start, took home a convincing victory to cap off a historic career. Ruby McBrien finished fourth, with Bradley Carlisle about 6 seconds back in fifth, while Ross Carter could only manage an eleventh place finish; his car fading fast at the end of the race.

Kevin Miller limped home to finish twenty-second after a crash caused severe damage to his car around the halfway mark. Miller was in front of a four-wide situation when Tyler Everett, making his debut, and Elliott Jenkins made contact, turning Miller around into the wall, setting off a multi-car melee. Miller spoke to Everett post race, but Miller was seen smiling and shook Tyler Everett's hand after the race.

The only other incident involved race winner Frank McBrien, as he got into Hanamaru Tsushima, turning her into the turn 3 wall.

The championship picture flip-flopped over the last run of the race, however. Ruby McBrien had been the highest running championship driver for most of the early running while Frank McBrien and Ben Atkins battled for the early lead, but during green flag pitstops in the final green flag run, McBrien pit on her own, around ten laps earlier than anyone else. It was speculated that she had a problem with the car and was eliminated from championship contention.

Control was then handed to Ross Carter, who was running way ahead of Bradley Carlisle, who pitted under the yellow, losing vital track position, but Carter was caught by Carlisle, who took the position away. However, they had to go through their green flag pitstops, and while Carlisle, Carter and the rest of the field struggled on old tires, McBrien focused on making up time on her new tires; and it worked. She emerged from the pits well inside the top 3, and way ahead of Carlisle and Carter.

The closing laps were nerve-wracking, as Caitlin Conway battled with Ruby McBrien for the fourth position, before McBrien handed it to her, choosing not to battle. Conway had an engine failure right in front of McBrien with just three laps to go, but the youngster got off the track, meaning there would not be an overtime attempt.

McBrien's car was fading away fast at the end, but as her father capped off his career with a win, she put herself in the record books, becoming the youngest ever champion.

It was an emotional championship circle, as Frank McBrien chose not to go to victory lane. Instead, he was handed his race trophy alongside his daughter. When Ruby McBrien climbed from her car to celebrate, her father was the first there to share an emotional embrace with her.

"I'm not a man of emotion, really." said Frank McBrien, not holding back tears today, "This... is the best moment of my life, though. I didn't sleep last night because I was so nervous for Ruby. It didn't really sink in that this was my last race until... well... about five laps to go. My thoughts were a mess at the end. I was getting my spotter, Jay, to give me updates on Ruby too. It's... just incredible."

Ruby McBrien was also in tears after her triumph, as drivers from the STARS paddock congratulated her; including ATK Motorsports drivers Ben Atkins and Grant Macintosh, McBrien Racing teammates Evie Vance and Bradley Carlisle, as well as Kevin Miller and Elliott Jenkins.

"This just... I'm in shock." said Ruby McBrien, "I never thought... I never really believed entering this year that this would be possible... but we did it! It's a lot of emotion at the moment... Dad's win and retirement, the championship and the fans reception... heck."

"It's a dream. That's what it feels like at the moment... I'm just so happy! We did our Rubesty and it was enough to bring us here!"

Bradley Carlisle, although one spot shy, was not beat up by coming up short today.

"We put our all into it, but the crew chief and driver in that #29 team earned it today," said Carlisle, "It's great to see the young talent come and rise to the challenge, and I'd like to congratulate Ruby on her first of many, I'm sure! We'll put our heads together and mount a charge for the big prize in 2018!"

On top of the title fight, the Triple Crown title was handed to Ryan Matthews in a photo finish with Matilda Dillinger, as they battled for second place.

The off-season begins as teams set their sights on the beginning of the New York speed weeks at the beginning of February next year!

Results:

Points Standings:
BJA95
BJA95
Admin

https://starsracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down