STARS Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(CHASE RACE #6) Monster Energy 300 @ Talladega

Go down

(CHASE RACE #6) Monster Energy 300 @ Talladega Empty (CHASE RACE #6) Monster Energy 300 @ Talladega

Post by BJA95 Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:09 am

Vance wins in unusual finish; Durbin, Macena, Dillinger and F. McBrien miss third round

After a dismal final few weeks, Evie Vance finally has something to smile about as she managed to pull away in an unusual finish at Talladega to win by over 4 seconds over Grant Macintosh. Vance and Macintosh had managed to get a lead over the rest of the pack but Vance then pinned Macintosh behind a lap car, making him lose ground, and the draft, meaning Vance could pull away from the 12 car earning the victory. Breyton Green managed to earn his way into the third round, despite starting the day below the cutoff point with an excellent third place finish, while Japanese drivers Nico Yazawa and Chiyo Minami, another chase driver who advanced today, rounded out the top 5.

This race also had a notable emission of the typical "big one", which was seen at New York and Daytona, but there were plenty of incidents throughout the day. Joshua Sanders' day was ended by an early incident with Ruby McBrien and Marcus Montellini. The incident also saw McBrien out of the race later on with related mechanical woes. Hanamaru Tsushima looked to have the dominant car early in the race, but was involved in a wreck with Patrick Vaughn and suffered damage which took her out of the running for the win.

The eliminated chase drivers, except the injured Frank McBrien who missed the race after his hard Indianapolis crash, did manage to finish the race, but not without their own woes. Matilda Dillinger and Gabriel Macena battled with mechanical gremlins all day, and finished 6 and 9 laps down in 21st and 22nd, respectively, while Ike Durbin sustained damage in a crash in turn 1 on lap 77 which saw Gregory Hadaway hit the wall head on very hard. Hadaway was limping after the incident but was later released from the infield care centre.

The race win was vital to Evie Vance, who has been left with no ride and no sponsors after McBrien Racing announced they will let go the 20-year-old after the 2017 season; seemingly due to disagreements with team owner Frank McBrien. Vance, while not fighting for a title, is fighting to potentially save her career, although she has been linked with ATK Racing, as she is the sister of Riko Vance, the girlfriend of ATK owner Ben Atkins.

"This win meant a lot," said Vance, "I know that the Toyota's have been fast on the superspeedways this year, and we had been in the top 10 just about all day. I seem to have picked up a knack for this big tracks, huh? Texas World, Daytona and now Talladega! This one was a little bit unusual though. Cars just seems to keep dropping out and stuff. It was weird."

When Vance was asked about her race winning move, she was honest and frank about it.

"Oh yeah, I meant to do that. I meant to pin Grant [Macintosh] behind that lapper. I'm not going to pretend it was a mistake. I'll be honest, I knew he was in the next round and I wanted the win bad. I'm trying to save my career! I needed this!"

Macintosh, the second place finisher, was not disheartened by his performance either.

"I think we had a car that could win, but we got pinned up against a lapped car by Evie... can't really be too upset, Evie used a lapped car to her advantage, and just got the better of us today. Good thing we won Road America so we're already in the next round, we'll just get ready for next week and try for that final four spot."

Breyton Green was arguably the most ecstatic driver of anyone in the top 5, as he cheers upon climbing out of his car. The 40-year-old Utah native, and 2005 and 2009 champion, was elated about his performance today, and was excited to battle for his third title.

"Hell yeah we made it! I never doubted these guys! We stayed out of trouble all day and we got the result we needed! This team; while we may not be the fastest cars out there... we've got grit and determination, and while you have McBrien and ATK cars falling to the wayside, me and Kevin [Miller] have both snuck into the final four! How about that, hey?"

Next week the round of 8 with begin at Iowa Speedway.

Results:

Chase Standings:

Standings:
BJA95
BJA95
Admin

https://starsracing.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum